Dr. G. Hasler Group (Psychiatry)
Gregor Hasler University of Fribourg, Switzerland
Institution and Address
Freiburger Netzwerk für Psychische Gesundheit University of Fribourg Chemin du Cardinal-Journet 3 1752 Villars-sur-Glâne Switzerland Phone: +41 79 541 98 49 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To elucidate the molecular basis of mood and anxiety disorders and to translate novel insights into clinical practice. Developing novel strategies for treatment-resistant mood disorders.
Group members and their position
4 MD (F. Akkus, S. Breit, P. Homan, A. Wolf) 1 Postdocs (Y. Mihov) 2 PhD student (S. Müller, C. Ritter) 1 Trainee (M. Camenzind)
Previous and current research
- In previous studies, we investigated the comorbidity of depression and temporal lobe epilepsy and the role of sleep duration and excessive daytime sleepiness in mental and physical health.
- In a series of papers we investigated the role of the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in mood and anxiety disorders and addiction. In combined fMRI/PET studies and animal studies we will determine the mechanistic role of mGluR5 in these conditions.
- Using alpha-methyl-paratyrosine, we have studied the role of catecholamine neurotransmission in reward processing in depres-sion, bulimia nervosa and daytime sleepiness.
- Adopting methods from behavioral economics and neuroscience we are currently investingating social decision-making in various psychiatric conditions.
- Large imaging-genetic study to determine the role of glutamine, glutamate, GABA / trauma / social factors in the pathogenesis of mood and anxiety disorders.
- Study on circadian rhythm disorders and excessive daytime sleepiness in bipolar depression
Techniques / methods
- Molecular Imaging (PET, MRS, fMRI)
- Pharmacological and psychological manipulations
- Animal models
- Game theory-based social experiments
- Hasler G, Buysse DJ, Klaghofer R, Gamma A, Ajdacic V, Eich D, Rössler W, Angst J (2004) The association between short sleep duration and obesity in young adults. A 13-year prospective study. Sleep 27: 661-666
- Hasler G, Bonwetsch R, Giovacchini G, Toczek MT, Bagic A, Luckenbaugh DA, Drevets WC, Theodore WH (2007) 5-HT1A receptor binding in temporal lobe epilepsy patients with and with-out major depression. Biological Psychiatry 62:1258-1264
- Hasler G, van der Veen JW, Grillon C, Drevets W, Shen J (2010) Effect of Acute Psychological Stress on Prefrontal Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid Concentration Determined by Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. American Journal of Psychiatry 167:1226-31
- Grob S, Stern J, Gamper L, Moergeli H, Milos G, Schnyder U, Hasler G (2013) Behavioral Responses to Catecholamine Deple-tion in Unmedicated, Remitted Subjects with Bulimia Nervosa and Healthy Subjects. Biological Psychiatry, ePub
- Akkus F, Ametamey S.M, Treyer V, Burger C, Johayem A, Um-bricht D, Gomez Mancilla B, Sovago J, Buck A, Hasler G (2013) Marked global reduction in mGluR5 receptor binding in smokers and ex-smokers determined by [11C]ABP688 positron emission tomography. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110: 737-42
Selected lectures, seminars, colloquia
Talks on the neurobiology, pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy of mood and anxiety disorders at national and international meetings (ACNP, CINP, ECNP, SBP, ISAD, WPA).
- Swiss National Foundation